Monday 3 March 2008

The dollar keeps falling, markets tumble and oil production might be in decline, but I don't want to talk about that, but about two other nice things for the pleasure of listening and learning, and although they might seem very different, they are related. As of lately I've been listening again to Elaine Radigue, she is a French composer and musician, quite an unusual one as she has basically only played (and plays) one instrument, the synthesizer ARP2600, it has no keyboard, just buttons, dials, cables and faders. Her compositions are long pieces sometimes over an hour long and consist of very subtle electronic frequencies or drones developing at a very slow but constant speed. It is one of the most engaging, profound and delicate music I've ever heard, and I have to admit that I almost only use it when I go to sleep... makes a fascinating introduction into the dream realm. Well, her most celebrated work is called "trilogie de la morte" and it is based on the Tibetan book of the dead and her experience of the death of her only child and her Tibetan master. Here is a link where you can download it, although I am aware that it has some sound problems (I didn't upload it, maybe will do it soon)and you can hear a small excerpt, bad quality but you get the idea.



And I want to recommend as well the listening of this audio-podcast-book, 'Geoff and Me'. You can find it here http://abuddhistpodcast.com/past-shows/ but to get all the episodes you would have to load it into Itunes, to make your life easier I will load the first chapter here. I find the music terribly cheesy too, it almost put me off listening to it, but the actor that makes the voices is really good, and yes, its about buddhism, but its explained in a very easy, practical and entertaining way.


and one last thing! here is the gamelan workshop I go to practicing the song for our performance in April. I don't play any instrument, but I do on some parts the monkey chanting (out of camera...), better called 'ketjak' with a few others. It's still sounds like a mess, but its improving.

No comments: